Win95 clients not logging in to Samba

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Mon Aug 25 18:46:15 GMT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Rob Naccarato wrote:

> We are running Samba 1.9.17alpha5 with Win95 OSR2 clients.
> We have a very annoying intermitent logon problem where
> the clients don't seem to run the netlogon script and then
> gain access to the desktop as the previous user including
> the connection to their home share.  From the Samba logs,

ah, _you're_ seeing this occasionally, are you? GOOD!  so am i :-)

if you have any NT workstations, you should be able to see these symptoms
(seeing [homes] and [user1] AND [user2] at the NetShareEnum level) every
single time.

it happens, i think, when the first user (user1) logs off, and somehow this
logoff doesn't trigger the smbd process for user1 to die.  normally
(under w95) it does.  under NT, at the moment, it definitely doesn't.

a login by user2 immediately afterwards will connect using the smbd
process previously used by user1.  OOPS!  because the shares are still
set up, particularly the [homes] share, for user1.

then, you get [user2] created, but the share [user1] still exists!

i have only been able to reproduce the problem, not fix it: i've sent
details, as best i can, to the other samba team people, so that those
more familiar with smbd (where the problem lies) can fix it.  in the
mean-time, i keep on hacking a local copy of smbd to see if i can narrow
this down some more.

> the client appears to not always make a connection to the
> [netlogon] share to run the logon script.  It does, however,
> always connect to [netlogon] to open the config.pol file, which
> is always run after the logon script.

[hm.  personal question: how did you get it to open / load the config.pol
file?]

> We are using Kixtart version 3.37 (or whatever the latest
> version is), and we've noticed an occassional share violation
> on the kix32.exe file in the Samba logs.  We've also just
> noticed a new error in the Samba logs that says, "Connection
> 23 not open".  What the heck does that mean?

??? absolutely clueless.

Kixtart (hur hur).  is that the program that modifies the registry?
particularly, it's being suggested for use in modifying the local profile
directory location to an SMB share, making you appear to have roaming
profiles, where instead you're just wasting bandwidth every time you look
at the start menu?

> Any and all help greatly appreciated.

if anyone else knows anything about this, can apply some brain-power to
smbd, or anything, i'd also appreciate hearing from you, through the digest.

regards,

luke