Scope of visibility not stable

Vaillant Daniel vaillant at ganil.fr
Wed Aug 20 12:51:26 GMT 1997

I just set up SAMBA 1.9.16p9  on an ultra1/140 under Solaris2.5.1

with a config file as follows:
;
:configuration file for smbd.
; ============================================================================
;
[global]
   server string = Samba Unix Share #1
   printing = sysv
   printcap name = /var/adm/samba/printcap
   load printers = yes
   dead time = 30
   case sensitive = yes
   preserve case = yes
   remote announce = 194.5.56.255/gip 194.5.56.255/spr
   debug level = 50
;
;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
   log file = /var/adm/samba/log.%m

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
   lock directory = /var/adm/samba/locks
   share modes = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750
   hide dot files = yes

[printers]
   comment = gansuv relayed Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = yes
   public = yes
   write list = %U
[Isotopes]
   comment = Tables of Isotopes
   path = /isotopes
   public = yes
   read only = yes
   printable = no
   guest account = pcguest
;
; A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
; the staff group
;
[pc-Softs]
   comment = Support of PC Software
   path = /Sgene/pc-Softs
   public = yes
   read only = yes
   guest account = %U
   printable = no
   write list = @syremi
[public]
   path = /Sgene/public
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   guest account = vaillant
   writable = yes
   printable = no

elaborated from the standard

The first problem, I met (i have some others)

is my Samba Server has no "clear announce" in that way it is not
systematically seen in Network neighbourhood.

I need to start/stop smbd and nmbd for announce to be OK
(and yet not always)
The global announce has been added for that purpose

What can I check, do, add ... to be systematically SEEN

u   VAILLANT Daniel       mailto:vaillant at ganil.fr      Man is his
n   GANIL GIP (Syst&Res)  Vox:(+33)(0)2 31 45 46 84        own
i   B.P. 5027             Fax:(+33)(0)2 31 45 46 65       Master
x   14076 CAEN-Cedex 5    Web: http://www.ganil.fr           (Budhism)