DAVE and Samba, SAMBA digest 1378

campbell campbell at neuron.cpmc.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 7 13:28:15 GMT 1997

Celeste Suliin Burris <CSBURRIS at mailgate.ci.tacoma.wa.us> wrote:

> I am attempting to make Dave and SAMBA work together.  Whenever I try to
> mount a disk from my SAMBA server, I get the message "A NetBios error
> as occured. The DAVE client received an incomplete message from the
> remote machine. Please make sure that the remote machine is configured
> correctly."
>
> I am using the default parameters for DAVE, and I can mount Windows NT
> servers without any problem. All my windows clients (WFW, W95 and WinNT)
> can mount the SAMBA shares correctly. I am the Unix sysadmin and a Mac
> user. I am also using CAP.

> ServerOS Solaris 2.5
> Client OS MacOS 7.5.5
> Dave 1.0.1
> Samba version 1.9.16p11

I've been having a similar response from some of our OS/2 clients. They
give virtually the same error message, but then go ahead and mount the
share anyway. This only happens to users who mount their drives using a
third party file manager utility called FM/2, but it would seem to
indicate that there really is a problem. I hope one of you guys can
figure this out, 'cause I'd really like to start using DAVE. I use CAP
now, but getting it to properly save the Mac resource fork is a pain in
the butt.
Science is not a Sacred Cow, it is a horse. Don't worship it, feed it.