SPAM: Get Rich NOW!!

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Sat Aug 2 18:56:50 GMT 1997

Hello root at inet.hkg.com,

It looks like someone, at your end, is leaking SPAM into the Samba list.
The apparent source of this SPAM is <inet.hkg.com> which, unbelieveably, is
a real address. They are then relay-raping the Singapore Network to get it
into this list.

After careful deliberation, I have conciously decided to forward this one
message into the samba lists. All future SPAM reactions will henceforth
occur in e-mail. I apologize to my fellow list members for this. However, I
feel that a notice of action needs to be made, as well as an example. The
origin of SPAM is dubious and the e-mail may not get to them, for various
reasons. However, I am reasonably certain that they may be a list member,
unless security has been breached at either <mbox2.singnet.com.sg> or
<arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>. In the latter case, the "Message-Id:
<199708021503.XAA09749 at inet.hkg.com>" line may be the only valid clue.

I respectfully suggest at all or part of the following courses be followed;

inet.hkg.com:
Please, cancel this account, or discipline this user. Ignorance is not an
acceptable argument.

mbox2.singnet.com.sg:
You have a relay leak which I suggest that you plug quickly. I'd also start
to watch them for more of this activity. Since they may not be a real
InterNet host, I suggest that you setup "hosts.deny" to block the entire
domain, since it is also possible that they have penetrated your system.

arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au:
It is possible that your system has also been compromised.

samba-list owner:
Block this user from participation in this list, if possible or convenient.
Alternatively, block the entire <inet.hkg.com> domain from participation,
iff they are uncooperative or can not be contacted.

This is a third occurance of SPAM in this list. I get enough of this in
UseNet and more than I like in my personal e-mail. I expect mailer-lists to
be SPAM free.

This message is also being posted to the anti-spam lists. I would hope that
the <inet.hkg.com> would not like a reputation as being a supporter of SPAM
tactics. However, repetition of SPAM from them will result in exactly such
a reputation as I will be posting all future SPAM to the anti-SPAM lists,
from here. Ask AGIS.NET what it's like to be excommunicated such that a
large part of their mail can't get through.

I am posting the header information such that better analysts than myself
may draw their own conclusions.

>Sender: samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
>From: pingsim at mbox2.singnet.com.sg
>To: Multiple recipients of list <samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
>Subject: Get Rich NOW!!
>Date: 	Sun, 3 Aug 1997 00:53:08 +0000
>

>                    ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A MONEY MAKING OPPORTUNITY
>                         THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO EARN AT LEAST $2500 A
>                                                              WEEK?

Remainder of this DREK has been removed.

I am specifically not placing inet.hkg.com into my kill filters so that I
can monitor them and forward future SPAM to my SPAM-COP system and, from
there, into the anti-SPAM lists.

      Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
                    Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill, CA

              Domain Administrator (MHSC2-DOM)
                               Administrative and Technical contact
InterNIC Id:	Roeland M.J. Meyer (RM993)
e-mail:		hostmaster at mhsc.com