Missing protocol features that could help Linux

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Fri Apr 19 16:53:01 UTC 2024

On 4/18/24 22:21, Steve French via samba-technical wrote:
> Was following up on a recent question about support for Linux features
> that are missing that could help us pass more xfstests
>
> Looking at the standard fstests for Linux (xfstests that are skipped
> or fail for cifs.ko) to find 'features' that would help, perhaps
> extending the current POSIX Extensions or adding a couple of SMB3.1.1
> FSCTLs, I spotted a few obvious ones:
>
>   1) renameat2 (RENAME_EXCHANGE) and renameat2(WHITEOUT)  2) FITRIM
> support 3) trusted namespace (perhaps xattr/EA extension) 4) attr
> namespace 5) deduplication 6) chattr -i 7) unshare (namespace command)
> 8) delayed allocation 9) dax 10) attr namespace security 11) fstrim
> 12) chattr +s 13) exchange range
>
> Any thoughts on which of these which would be 'easy' for samba and/or
> ksmbd server to implement (e.g. as new fsctls)?

well, I guess none of these will be really "easy".

Iirc when I last brough up file attributes, we vetted towards postponing
this kind of stuff until we have full support for the core SMB3 POSIX
features in Samba. Iirc the only real thing missing there is
symlink/reparse point handling and for that we need to settle on which
reparse type to use (WSL vs NFS) as discussed yesterday. It would be a
*huge* help Steve, if you can pursue this internally, this has been a
blocker for the whole project since quite some time...

-slow