CTDB and the road ahead.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 21 15:46:17 MST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 15:41 -0600, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
> On 01/20/2013 08:18 PM, Martin Schwenke wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:27:52 -0600, "Christopher R. Hertel"
> > <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> >> With my vendor hat on (and you know what color that is), I need to be able
> >> to identify a release of CTDB to ship with products.  I can back-port fixes,
> >> as needed, but I need a foundation from which to work.
> > There isn't much (any?) feature development being done.  Most of
> > the changes we're making are bug fixes, performance improvements or
> > code cleanups to improve maintainability.
> What are the plans for CTDB to be used on a AD DC cluster on the new
> 4.0? I currently am running a 2 node cluster (samba 3.6+CTDB, DRDB
> active/active on CentOS5) that I would like to upgrade to 4.0 with AD
> but the notes say that this is not recommended.

Correct, you don't mix CTDB replication with the AD replication used in
the AD DC.

If you are using CTDB, then your data is important enough to afford
distinct servers for your AD DC.  The two replication schemes cannot be
combined, they are at different layers.

You can of course use CTDB with a Samba 4.0 file server, in the same way
you can replicate a Samba 3.6 file server.

The CTDB folks can fill you in on the status of CTDB with Samba 4.0, but
I understand it is fully supported.