Moving forward towards releasing Samba 4.0

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sun May 20 16:59:16 MDT 2012

Hi!

Regarding our current efforts for a release of Samba 4.0,
here are my ideas on how to proceed, to make things
a little more concrete:

* I would love to see a (first) Beta this month (May), i.e.
  essentially in the next two weeks.

  My understanding was that with the ACL-patches that went into
  master last week, the last issue with storing GPOs should
  essentially be fixed. (I still need to test and verify myself.)

  Our idea was that the Beta will be cut in a similar manner to
  to the alphas we have done so far.

  My understanding is that "s3fs" will be made the default
  for the Beta.

  What about DNS, btw?

* There might be another Beta after the first one related to the
  tdb/tdb2/ntdb changes that are currently in progress.

* My hope is that we can stabilize to _at least_ an RC1 until
  the time of the SDC (i.e around September).
  (RC2 or final would be better, of course.. :-)

Cheers - Michael