My proposed path to a Beta for Samba 4.0

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Fri May 11 02:38:08 MDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> As I have mentioned before, we are very close to making a beta release
> of Samba 4.0.
>
> We haven't done betas of Samba for quite some time (the 3.x series
> hasn't used alpha or beta releases since 3.0), so I should be clear what
> I mean by a beta, as I seek concurrence or comment.
>
> My proposal is that the release of Samba 4.0 beta 1 will be much like
> the alpha and TP series before it, but the transition marks the maturity
> of the long-awaited integration of the smbd file server, currently being
> developed under the s3fs project.
Agree.

> Before we can make a beta 1 release, we need to merge the patches I
> proposed and make the use of s3fs the default mode of operation for a
> new provision.  To avoid disruption to existing production users, I
> propose that this be done by writing entries in the smb.conf at
> provision time, rather than changing the defaults inside Samba.
Agree.

> Once these two steps are made, I think we should make a release.  I do
> not propose to wait on any other features/patches/bugs, but to instead
> focus on making a beta2 as soon any any other significant changes are
> ready.
I've got MIT Kerberos build working during SambaXP. We have few
patches pending in Simo's tree waf-mit-work (and one more in my local
tree due to flaky networking at Freizeit Inn). Out of these patches
about 4-5 needs to be cleaned up and then whole batch can be
submitted. This would take a week or so, not more.

Heimdal build keeps being the same so no issues on that.

One particular issue that we see in git master now is setgroups()
crash which autobuild didn't catch due to being run under
non-privileged account. The bug affects passdb modules based on
ldapsam code (ldapsam itself and FreeIPA's ipasam at least) so fixing
it for ldapsam is important for s3fs combined use.

http://abbra.fedorapeople.org/.paste/smbd.panic.log is what I'm
getting with MIT build and ipasam in use (Guenther saw the same crash
in Heimdal build in master). This will be worked out during next week
-- I'm planning to get it attacked today during BarCamp.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy