Samba4 s3fs problem

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu May 10 04:59:48 MDT 2012

On 10/05/12 12:42, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 11:18 +0200, steve wrote:
>> Hi
>> Every new file created under s3fs by any user has group ownership of
>> 100. (maps to 'users' in Linux)
>>
>> Would it be possible to have the file that is created have group
>> membership of the primary group of the user?
>
> This is the group that we map 'domain users' to by default.  Domain
> Users is in turn also the default primaryGroupID value.
>
> I know you have been changing the primaryGroupID, so this might not hold
> true for your site, but this is the first thing I would check.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi Andrew

We have not changed any primaryGroupID but we have found out why the
group mappings were always 100

Domain Users has xid 100 in idmap.ldb. We changed that to what our
actual ginNumber and all was well. wbinfo -i and getent group gave the
same gidNumber and uidNumber

So I can see that rather than pull the gidNumber from the dn of the
group, s3fs now pulls it as the xid in idmapd.ldb.

Anyway, all is now back to normal except we are experiencing many
problems getting a group rw share where members of a group create files
rw-rw. It seems that the posix acl to do this (which works on Linux
clients) is not understood by windows: only the owner of the file can
edit it even though it appears rwxrwx--x when created in windows. Under
Linux the file is correctly created according to the acl: rw-rw

Should setting a posix acl on the server be understood by windows?

Cheers,
Steve