s3fs in master (and the road to Samba 4.0)

Andreas Schneider asn at cryptomilk.org
Wed Feb 29 06:55:28 MST 2012

On Wednesday 29 February 2012 22:53:48 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> With the autobuild I finally got into the tree today, s3fs is now
> available in master.  This is an implementation of the smbd file server
> as part of an AD domain controller.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for this work.

> However, the major identifiable task I see is that we need to integrate
> the endpoint mapper implementations so that they can talk to each other.
> Currently, it is not possible to register smbd-forked end points
> (spoolss, srvsvc, etc) with the epmapper from s4, so we get copious
> warnings in the logs.

The Samba3 endpoint mapper is more complete and advanced the the one in S4.
The S4 can do a simple epm_Map and epm_Lookup for one service but that's it.
All other features are not implemented, we have that in S3. The s3 version has
additional functions which can be called over ncalrpc as root. This is
epm_Insert and epm_Delete to register or unregister endpoints.

The S3 endpoint mapper is a daemon forked from smbd. It holds all the
information about the endpoints in memory. When smbd registers a new endpoint
it leaves the connection open to epmd so if epmd dies, it will detect the
connection loss and reregister. If the epmd detects that a connection of an
endpoint is closed, it will delete it from its database.

We could try to build something like a library and use the same code in S3 or
S4 or we could create an independent epmd.

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
www.cryptomilk.org                asn at cryptomilk.org