Samba 4 provision error in recent git

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:35:28 MST 2012

Ugh....  I'm seeing the same error, only I'm doing a samba3upgrade using
the default bind9.8 DNS backend.

/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain samba3upgrade \
--verbose -d 255 \
--dbdir=/etc/samba3 \
--use-xattrs=yes \
--realm=something.org \
/etc/samba3/smb.conf

INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 255
  tdb: 255
  printdrivers: 255
  lanman: 255
  smb: 255
  rpc_parse: 255
  rpc_srv: 255
  rpc_cli: 255
  passdb: 255
  sam: 255
  auth: 255
  winbind: 255
  vfs: 255
  idmap: 255
  quota: 255
  acls: 255
  locking: 255
  msdfs: 255
  dmapi: 255
  registry: 255
no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory
Reading smb.conf
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba3/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter wins support = yes
doing parameter dns proxy = yes
doing parameter message command = bash -c 'cat %s | logger -t %f' &
doing parameter name resolve order = wins bcast
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter time server = yes
doing parameter server string = ""
doing parameter interfaces = 10.4.1.1/23
doing parameter username map = /etc/samba/smbusermap
doing parameter printing = lprng
doing parameter load printers = yes
doing parameter printcap = /etc/printcap
doing parameter cups options = "raw"
doing parameter printer admin = @dom_admin
WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
doing parameter print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -Ccut.no_ff %s; rm %s
doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
doing parameter read raw = no
doing parameter large readwrite = yes
doing parameter kernel oplocks = yes
doing parameter veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/*.dbf/*.DBF
doing parameter smb ports = 139 445
doing parameter force create mode = 660
doing parameter directory mask = 2770
doing parameter force directory mode = 2000
doing parameter dos filetimes = yes
doing parameter min print space = 2048
doing parameter veto files = lost+found/proc/dev
doing parameter read only = no
doing parameter dos filetime resolution = yes
doing parameter passdb backend = tdbsam guest
doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
doing parameter unix password sync = yes
doing parameter passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/sysadm-samba.pl--changepw=%u
doing parameter passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *changed*
doing parameter passdb backend = tdbsam
doing parameter add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c
Machine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
doing parameter logon drive = N:
doing parameter logon home = \\%L\%U
doing parameter logon path =
doing parameter netbios name = ADAM2
doing parameter netbios aliases = NTINSTALL
doing parameter name cache timeout = 60
doing parameter workgroup = OMUSA
doing parameter dos charset = CP850
doing parameter debug level = 1
WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "password level" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
Provisioning
Exporting account policy
Exporting groups
Exporting users
  Skipping wellknown rid=501 (for username=nobody)
  Skipping inter-domain trust from domain somebodyelse, this trust must be
re-created as an AD trust
Next rid = 3583
ERROR(<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>): uncaught exception - 'state directory'
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 162, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line
925, in run
    useeadb=eadb)
  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/upgrade.py",
line 645, in upgrade_from_samba3
    useeadb=useeadb, dns_backend=dns_backend)
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py",
line 1663, in provision
    eadb=useeadb, lp=lp, server_services=server_services)
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py",
line 648, in make_smbconf
    shares["sysvol"] = os.path.join(global_settings["state directory"],

--
    Charles Tryon