tdb and ldb

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Feb 1 19:02:27 MST 2012

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 16:49:48 +1100, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> Rusty,
>
> It would seem that the next logical step would be to have ldb move to
> directly using only the TDB2 API and library.  It isn't shared with the
> autoconf build, so this restriction won't cause any issues.  The
> unshared code in source4 and the waf build in general could then move
> next.

There's one really compelling reason to do that: the (yet-unexistsing)
allocator attribute.  That will make tdb2 use the given allocator
(ie. talloc), so we can get have tallocated tdb_contexts and TDB_DATAs.

But before I commit a new feature, I need to write a test for it.  And
the tdb2 unit tests are in CCAN, so I really want to move those tests
into to the samba tree (so I can remove tdb2 from CCAN, where it doesn't
belong).

> We still need to work out the move to tdb2 format databases for LDB, as
> I want to use that to help set up a flag for a future change in the
> index format.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help that?

Amitay foolishly commented that he found issues trying to do the API
check for TDB2, so I've asked him to try to make it a public library.
Then we're full steam ahead...

Cheers,
Rusty.