To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Nov 25 10:49:59 MST 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 07:07:34AM +0100, Gémes Géza wrote:

> As someone who followed closely this thread and being personally
> interested in the AD part, but not only (currently running a Samba4 AD
> test domain, will need to introduce it in production before summer). I
> would propose an intermediate solution to the extremes presented on this
> thread:
> Call the Samba 4.0 release Samba-AD (the idea behind the name belongs to
> Sernet people), and continue to release Samba3 as Samba-FS. This way
> people would have a suggestion where those are going to be deployable.
> Of course I DON'T propose the end of the integration efforts. But if the
> plan is to do a release in the near future that seems a good (certainly
> not perfect) compromise. Having a Samba release with ability to act as
> an AD DC is becoming more and more important to many people who have to
> upgrade their network infrastructure.

Interestingly enough this is *exactly* what Steve Danneman of Isilon
proposed a few years ago at SambaXP :-). I do think it would solve
the branding problem, but it requires a commitment from all the
Team to do this - I think that's what we're working on right now.

Normally we'd do this on the Team internal alias, but to be honest
I think this is a much better discussion done openly with really
good input from users and other developers.

Cheers,

Jeremy.