To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 13:43:32 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 08:48 -0500, Ira Cooper wrote:

> From someone who is "outside the loop.":
>

> I see one critical unaddressed question: Is the "source3" based
> fileserver ready to ship a new release?  Take a look at how many times
> it release blocked trying to get 3.6 out.  And that's no slam on
> Jeremy, Volker or Karolin.  I appreciate the devotion to quality they
> showed getting it done.  But I realize that it is a non-trivial effort
> for the team to push that component out the door.  Realize the next
> release commits the file server to a working SMB 2.0 implementation,
> and the blocking could get worse.
>

> The fact that, that question has gone unasked and unaddressed worries
> me greatly, from the outside as a "pseudo" OEM.
>

> There are plenty of gnattish questions I'd have for Jeremy/Volker
> about what is going to be supported for 4.0.  Like CTDB etc... :)
>

> It isn't just the AD components that need to ship.  It is the entire
> product!

Ira,

I totally agree.  The point is to make this a combined release of
everything, and so indeed everything must be as ready as is reasonably
practical.  Some of the advantages we have in doing that is that all our
changes are made under autobuild, which provides a continuous
integration environment - everything is tested before it is committed,
using our automated testsuite.

I've also been watching the changes since we forked Samba 3.6, and I
haven't seen many big, disruptive changes that would make me worried
about such a release.  However, Jermey is the right one to ask:

Jeremy,

Are there any parts of the source3 fileserver that you maintain that are
not ready for a release, or would not be ready for a release in 3 months
time?