Home directories, Samba 4, what am I doing wrong?

Peter Clark pclark at pclark.com
Tue Nov 8 07:54:16 MST 2011

Hi,

>>On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 11:43 -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I had a Samba 3 server that wasn't doing anything special, just
>> letting users store files on a Fedora 14 server where they also had
>> shell accounts under homes.
>> I installed Samba 4, added user accounts with Active Directory
>> Computers and Users, put:
>> [homes]
>>         comment = Home Directories
>>         path = /home
>>         read only = No

> Should the "path" be "path=/home/%u" ?

If I do that I can't access the folders (Windows gives a 'cant find' error when browsing into the displayed 'homes' folder, and some 800xxxxx series error).

>> in my smb.conf
>> However, the only files that show up in the share after going into the
>> folder are files that are world readable on the server.  Anything
>> that's only user.user rwx-rwx---- style permissions don't show up in the browser.
>> Copying files over to the share results in owner UID 3000009 GID users.

> If you do a "getent passwd | grep 3000009" do you see a user? [is winbind configured on the S4 host?]

There is no user with that UID on the Unix server.  All users are under 1000 except for one UID for postfix which is 5000.
I don't see a smbd or nmbd process running if that's what you're asking.

Thanks,
Peter

-----
No virus found in this message.