Samba shows each file several times in the same folder

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Fri Nov 4 03:32:44 MDT 2011

> Hi!
>
> I have a Samba 3.5.11 on Debian/kFreeBSD (sid) with ZFS filesystem.
> The error come up yesterday, I opened of the dirs and the same file camed
> up several times.
>
> Picasa.ini
> IMG_1377.JPG
> IMG_1378.JPG
> IMG_13*80*.JPG
> IMG_13*80*.JPG
> IMG_1384.JPG
> IMG_1385.JPG
> IMG_13*86*.JPG
> IMG_13*86*.JPG
> IMG_13*87*.JPG
> IMG_13*87*.JPG
> IMG_13*88*.JPG
> IMG_13*88*.JPG
>
> With the same name, they are the same files (same size, same content, etc.)
> If I open on the linuxbox with Midnight Commander, everything is ok, no
> doubleing the files.
>
> In some cases no doubling, but in some dirs each files showed up more than
> 10 times, which froozed Total Commander, by then.
>
> On Windows If I open Total Commander, of Windows Explorer, the same effect.
>
> I also tested samba 3.6.1 from Debian experimental repo, same effect.
>
> I don't know where to start debugging, or what can be the problem.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Peter Torok
Hi,

1. IMHO tis question belongs to the samba mailing list
2. I would start by changing the smb.conf parameter log level to 10 (log
level = 10), then open up a terminal and do a 1. service samba restart
2. tailf /var/log/samba/log.YOURWINDOWSCOMPUTERHOSTNAME. Then go to the
windows box and try to open that share/folder. See if there is anything
useful in the log, if you can't see the reason please send the log file
with to the mailing list from 1.

Cheers

Geza

P.S.: If a small delay (I'll be mostly off-line till Sunday) is not a
concern maybe I can also help you in Hungarian (my mother-tongue and
suppose yours as well) if that would help.