Proposed paths for Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 14 20:03:10 MDT 2011

Attached is a patch to implement a new set of default paths for Samba
4.0

The challenge here is that the Samba4 branch historically chose a
different set of default paths to the release branches, and this needs
to be resolved before we release Samba 4.0

The approach I have taken is:

 - Users who install from source should keep key files in the same
places as 3.6
 - except for config files which are moved from lib/ to etc/
 - all the key paths can be configured, so distributions can put things
in the right place

In doing this, I've removed --with-fhs as it didn't seem to work very
well (used on it's own, it produces paths under /usr/local/samba/, and
even combined with --prefix=/usr it created paths like /usr/etc
and /usr/var

I've make the configure step honour all the gnu paths first, and then
support options to further configure Samba correctly.

Additionally, I propose two additional patches:
 - Move sockets from PREFIX/var to PREFIX/var/run  (/var/run on systems
with --localstatedir=/var set)

This is a change relative to 3.6 (including the patch I proposed
yesterday...), but would keep the PREFIX/var/run/ntp_signd socket in a
consistent location with Samba4 alphas to date.

 - Move PID files to PREFIX/var/run  (/var/run on systems with
--localstatedir=/var set)

This might break some startup scripts, as currently they are in
PREFIX/var/locks, but is a more standard location long term.

Does anyone have any comments?

How would folks like the migration from lib/smb.conf to etc/smb.conf to
be handled?  My proposal (given that config files can be very complex,
with include statements etc) is that we simply warn the user at startup
(ie, just improve the error message).

Distributions already use /etc/samba/smb.conf so would be unaffected.

Thanks,