Move var/locks/.nmbd to var/nmbd for 3.6.0?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 14 00:03:39 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 07:46 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:31:23PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Additionally I've also added a patch to move the PREFIX/var/locks/.nmbd
> > socket directory to PREFIX/var/nmbd
>
> Why this change? We have /tmp/.winbindd, which I modeled
> this after. Can you give me a reason what functionality a
> name ".nmbd" breaks? And, by the way, this name went in
> months ago, and it seems to work fine.

I can only apologise for not raising this at the time.

The difference with /tmp/.winbind is that in /tmp we wanted to have a
hidden directory, in line with /tmp/.X11 and /tmp/.esd etc.

Since /tmp/.winbind was chosen, the pattern in the FHS has been to move
such sockets out of /tmp.  For example, on my Fedora system the winbind
socket is in /var/run/winbindd

This is in line with the FHS:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARRUNRUNTIMEVARIABLEDATA

Given that we agreed to move the default location of the socket out
of /tmp, I had hoped you would agree to remove the . from the name, as
there is no longer any need for it to be hidden.

I also think it is best if our new directories are self-consistent.  We
are making a release with two new directories:
 - PREFIX/var/ncalrpc
 - PREFIX/var/locks/.nmbd
and the difference between them just seemed quite odd.

However, If you remain opposed, simply nack the patch.  I am raising
this very late in the process, and I won't be offended.