Samba 4.0 wishlist

Trever L. Adams trever.adams at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 06:19:39 MDT 2011

On 06/11/2011 03:21 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> This is a question for the NTP project.  It should be quite practical to
> have NTP contact Samba in a non-blocking fashion if someone wishes to
> make that happen.

Alright, I will take a look at it. Thank you.

> See ldbedit.  pdbedit may also work by the time we do a release, but to
> change arbitary ldap attributes, use an LDAP editor.

The only problem is, many will not know which fields to use, etc. Hence
the request, but whatever is best.

> You will need to supply more details than this, preferably in a bug
> report.  Please also test against Samba 3.6.0rc1 as we have already
> fixed some issues here.
>
> Samba4's samba_dnsupdate isn't anything particularly special: it's a
> wrapper around nsupdate...
>
> Andrew Bartlett
Ok, two bug reports here, I guess. First, I just had to move several
servers. samba_dnsupdate found the new IP addresses, but didn't remove
the old ones. I think 'update delete FQDN' does the trick, if it is
possible to know when to issue this.

As for net ads dns register, if I am kinited as administrator or
HOSTNAME$ and run it, I get "DNS update fialed!"

On the server, in /var/named/data/named.run, (with high debug  value on
named) I see:

client 10.0.0.21#45674: query
gss cred: "DNS/realm at REALM", GSS_C_ACCEPT, 4294961332
failed gss_accept_sec_context: GSSAPI error: Major = Unspecified GSS
failure.  Minor code may provide more information, Minor = Wrong
principal in request.
process_gsstkey(): dns_tsigerror_badkey

With lower debug, I simply see:

update unsuccessful:host/A: 'RRset exists (value dependent)'
prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

I will try Samba 3.6.0rc1 hopefully this today or some time Monday.

Thank you,
Trever Adams
--
"Oh the nerves, the nerves; the mysteries of this machine called man! Oh
the little that unhinges it, poor creatures that we are!" -- Charles