sec_initial_uid() check in debug.c:check_log_size()

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jul 4 19:11:40 MDT 2011

Volker,

In commit 644222a1e36d18f8a57f815e74a08a78c26abb89 you added back a
sec_initial_uid() check for log rotation in the common debug code, with
the message:

> debug: Restore the s3-style check in check_log_size()
> This has caused me considerable grief.

Would it be possible for you to explain what exactly you were trying to
do that caused this to be a problem, and what the problem was, so I can
see if I can resolve it another way?

There are two issues here:

Firstly, as we move to a Samba 4.0 release we need to move away from
using #ifdef _SAMBA_BUILD_ == 3 for any behaviours we want to keep long
term.  In the top level build, _SAMBA_BUILD_ is set to 4 across all the
common and source4 code.  (For this reason I am working to remove as
many of these conditionals as possible).

Secondly, the reference to sec_initial_uid() is an unresolved reference
from a common library to Samba3 specific code.  The fact that this built
at all up till now seems to be due to linker order and luck rather than
anything else - the samba-util library is defined as not permitting
unresolved symbols.

Our other option would be to change this to #ifndef _SAMBA_WAF_BUILD_,
as the autoconf build uses only object lists, not libraries.  This would
change the divergence to between the autoconf and waf builds rather than
between the 'Samba3' and top level builds.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=samba.git;a=commit;h=644222a1e36d18f8a57f815e74a08a78c26abb89