towards fully defined libraries in Samba3-waf

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jul 3 01:40:37 MDT 2011

I've been working towards getting fully defined libraries and modules in
the waf build, so as to avoid the issues raised by many recently as they
try to build master.  A number of our users have found that depending on
their system, it has not been possible to build libraries or modules
with undefined symbols (which would then be resolved at runtime).

I've just pushed a change to autobuild to make fully defined the
default, as well as the required exemptions in order to make the tree
build again.  Each of the 'allow_undefined_symbols' in the waf build is
a bug, and needs to be fixed.

In particular, we need:
 - Andreas' s3-auth patches (once get_remote_hostname() is removed from
the auth code).  Andreas:  you seem to be waiting on on Jeremy's
sign-off for the removal of the PAM_RHOST reverse lookup feature.
Perhaps I can sign off on that as the original author?  That would then
seem to resolve the final issue, and get these patches in.

 - The winbindd and idmap code needs to be declared as a series of
libraries without a main(), and then a binary based on this code.  The
idmap subsystem depends on the guts of winbindd, and idmap modules need
to be able to resolve these symbols.

 - There is a dependency loop between the libregistry and libsmbconf
code.

Any assistance to address these issues would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>