Regarding the participation in GSoc-2011

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Wed Feb 23 08:37:19 MST 2011

On 2011-02-22 19:43, tejaswini katreddy wrote:
> I am an undergraduate student (3rd year)  doing MSc(tech ) Information
> Systems. I would like to be a part of GSoc 2011 and I would be pleased
>  to know if Samba is particpating in GSoc this year.

The application process for GSoC mentoring organizations only starts
next Monday, so we can't be sure if we'll be participating until the
results are announced on March 18th.

We're planning on applying, though.

>        I have a great passion for networking and I would like to be a
> part of the Samba project.
>  I am comfortable with languages- C ,Java and I am quite familar with
> Data Structures,Algorithms and graph theory as I have done these
> courses in my previous semesters.
>
>  I wanted to know what all additional knowledge is required other than
> C for a student to do a project in Samba.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SoC/Ideas has the collection of project
ideas we offered last year. Not all of them are current anymore and
we're currently going over them for GSoC 2011. Still, it should give you
an idea of the kind of projects Samba is interested in. Having a good
grasp of C certainly helps, and if you know how to use a network sniffer
like Wireshark, that won't hurt either.

Cheers,
Kai

--