s3/s4 combined setup

Fri Feb 11 02:04:38 MST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:57:24AM +0100, André Stierenberg wrote:
> you wrote in the how to: s3 with same prefix... but then you have to
> rename the s4 smb.conf. correct?

No, at this moment s3 stores its smb.conf in lib/ where s4
stores it in etc/. But it should not really hurt, because we
ignore the respective unknown parameters. And I'm not aware
of any real conflicts where existing parameters have
different meaning. If that's the case, it needs fixing.

The plan is to move the s3 smb.conf default location to etc/
as well at some point.

> >There are known limitations. For example the s3 smbpasswd
> >command needs fixing, and the id mapping winbind uses must
> >be done properly.
> what do you mean exactly what to da?

When pdb_ads was initially written, it was possible to set
the password with smbpasswd. Something has changed in the
meantime, s4 right now rejects what pdb_ads sends it. I'll
fix that soon.

This and the idmapping are code changes that need to be
done. I'm still investigating how to properly do that.
idmapping is undergoing considerable changes right now.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9