Should we keep the Samba4 LDAP backend?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 14 03:26:05 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 21:23 +0200, Andreas Moroder wrote:
> > But our great efforts that have been made over many years have simply
> > not been enough.  The code may function for some simple deployments, but
> > particularly without the safety of transactions we could never recommend
> > it for production.
> >
> Hello Andrew,
>
> could you please explain me when transactions are needed and why ?

A number of operations against Samba modify more than one record, or
create objects and then modify them.  If we don't have transactions then
we can fail half-way though the operation.

However, the biggest user of transactions is the DRS replication, which
expects transactions on the local database.