[Samba3] The missing testsuites

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 6 23:42:21 MDT 2011

I've been meaning to mention on the list for a while the missing
testsuites that I've discovered in various places in the Samba source
tree.

At one time these were vital tests that show that some aspect of Samba
operates correctly, or still supports users of our libraries etc, but
when not connected to 'make test' (and therefore autobuild), they lie
idle, and risk not fufilling their mission in life.

The unused tests I've found are:

testsuites/build_farm

The original auth subsystem tests written for the first auth rewrite.
Shell scripts.

testsuite/libsmbclient

Testsuite with makefiles to build against libsmbclient.  I can't see any
way this is then automatically run, but it should be possible to add.

testsuite/

The rest of testsuite is described as:
> All the scripts except those in build_farm require an unreleased
> version of DejaGNU, and although they contain some useful tests they
> are not so useful at the moment.
We probably need to decided if there is anything worth saving here, and
delete them.

source4/torture/libnetapi/

A Samba4 smbtorture test for the Samba3 libnet library API.  This isn't
currently enabled, but perhaps it could be with the top level build?

examples/libsmbclient

More tests for libsmbclient with Makefile.internal. Makefile processed
from the end of the source3 autoconf ./configure

examples/VFS

Possibly current example VFS modules with Makefile.in

examples/pdb

An old, and no longer compiling example passdb test module.

source3/lib/netapi/examples

Example applications with Makefile.in for the Samba4 libnet library API.
Makefile processed from the end of the source3 autoconf ./configure

It would be great if someone (yes, I'm not volunteering because I've
known about this for some time now, and have not yet got it done) could
get these hooked back into make test, so we can be more certain that
everything keeps working as intended.

Or, if we decide, we ditch the tests that we can't fix or use, so they
don't cause confusion to casual bystanders.

Anyway, I hope at least the list is useful to someone - these are hidden
in plain sight, but still took me some time to describe.  I almost
wonder if there is enough work for a GSoC student, but it will be pretty
hard work once untested tests are re-connected, as they probably will
fail in some way or other.