samba 4 alpha 12, tdb 1.2.3, tevent 0.9.9, ldb 0.9.13

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon Sep 6 11:15:51 MDT 2010

  On 06/09/2010 19:20, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> (re-sending, I forgot to CC samba-technical earlier)
>
> Hi David,
>
> On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 16:35 -0500, David Gonzalez wrote:
>> As a suggestion you should have a more open mind and develop for more
>> widely-used distros as CentOS/Fedorea/RedHat, I really doubt many
>> would be able to test if people keep developing for debianish systems.

> Samba 4 is being developed for POSIX-compatible systems and that
> includes the various GNU/Linux distributions. There is no specific
> target platform, although each developer of course has their own
> development platform. While I use Ubuntu I know that other developers
> use Fedora for their Samba 4 development.
>
> As well as being a Samba developer I am a Debian/Ubuntu developer, and
> in that role I am providing Samba 4 packages for those distributions.
> Nothing prevents Fedora developers from stepping up and doing the same
> for their distributions, I don't think the fact that they have not makes
> us (upstream Samba) closed minded.
David,
Don't be scared too much there is major samba dev using fedora out there
it didn't seems that they were blocked.

Please see this page related to fedora and samba4:
https://admin.stg.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/samba4?_csrf_token=95ed238168dd6d219221bdf763631cdf32d119fb

And have a look there:
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/samba4/4.0.0/ for the rpm.

Then once we cut an alpha12 in the tree go to your favorite
fedora/centos/redhat contact and ask him (kindly) to update rpm packages.

Note: I find it a difficult to find packages for fedora related to
samba4 but it might just that I didn't really know where to search as
I'm another debian/ubuntu user.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou