should I be able to set printers and folder option via group policy?

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sat Sep 4 15:24:00 MDT 2010

  Hi,
On 05/09/2010 00:30, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> /var/lib/samba/sysvol/foobar.com/Policies/{0C95ADB9-08A4-4387-BADF-11D63413367D}/User/Preferences#ls
> -la .
>> What are the ntfs rights of the folders ?
> When I try to view those (right clicking and going to properties->security tab)
> I get "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
> displayed"
>
> At some point I noticed that my /etc/fstab was messed up and the space between
> the type and options had disappeared, resulting in a type of "ext4user_attr"
> Surprisingly the system seemed fine with that, but it was causing the extended
> attributes to not work.  I don't know if that could be related or not, but
> thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for notifying it :-) it means that you don't have xattr anymore
and as we store ntacls in xattr you don't have NTACLS anymore appart
from the basic one that result from the translation of the unix rights
so given your ls I can say that you don't have the right to write to the
folder.

I suggest that you get your xattr back online, and you check that you
are able to set NTACLS from windows (think to give your +w on
folders/files so that you can set the ntacls).

>> For me it looks like the Preference folder has been created by someone
>> else (because it's not done by the provision) and you don't have the
>> right on it.
>> Can you create a folder under the User folder ?
>>
> Actually, I wasn't able to create folders anywhere.  I turned off SMB2 and I was
> able to create folders anywhere I felt, and was able to actually see the
> security information for them.  So I guess SMB2 is the source for a lot of my
> issues.  Hopefully turning that off solves everything.

I wouldn't appear like the guy who is always grumbling but going to the
list with this kind of information at the beginning can save us time and
also having by default the idea to make a test without well can save
even more time :-)

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou