Provision Samba4 : Check if ("--domain parameter" != $HOSTNAME)

Andrew Shinkarchuck adriano32.gnu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 16:32:26 MST 2010

Hi there! I succesfully compiled samba version 4.0.0alpha14-GIT-51d4951 and
successfully setupped native 2003 domain controller using Samba4/HOWTO and
joined winxp computer into it.
While executing samba-master/source4/setup/provision i accidentally gave
--domain parameter (metavar DOMAIN) the same string as my test server
$HOSTNAME.
Of course, after i add my test winxp machine into newly created samba domain
and reboot it i received "Duplicate Name exists on Network" error on logon
screen on this test machine, because of hostname of any computer on windows
WORKGROUP/DOMAIN could not match this WORKGROUP/DOMAIN name. In my case
domain controller computer name matched domain name.
I don't guess my mistake critical, because i knew about this windows os
feature, but forgot and nobody remembered me about it or stopped while
provision )
You may decide that such checking as (metavar DOMAIN != $HOSTNAME ) may be
included in provision script or somewhere else to pretend from such
mistakes.