Samba4 on FC13 vs. FC14

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 6 20:57:30 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 14:25 -0500, Charles Tryon wrote:
> I've spent a fair amount of time building (from git) and experimenting with
> Samba4.  My current development environments are running on fairly
> straightforward Fedora 13 VM's.  (One in ESXi and one using libvirt on a
> Ubuntu host).
>
> One nagging problem I've had is getting dynamic DNS updates to work from
> DHCP.  I keep getting access denied messages:
>      updating zone 'bbaggins.net/IN': update failed: rejected by secure
> update (REFUSED)
>
> I recently noticed in the /usr/local/samba/private/named.conf.update there
> is a comment:
>       The most recent BIND versions (9.7.2 or later) support secure
> GSS-TSIG updates.
>
> Oddly enough, the most recent version of BIND in Fedora 13
> is bind-9.7.1-2.P2.fc13.x86_64.  So I'm only one point off!
>
> My top level question is, would it be easier to just start over again on a
> clean Fedora 14 base, and if I do, will it likely work better with the built
> in versions of Bind and DHCP in terms of using the generated update policies
> in the named.conf.update file?

I can't speak for DHCP integration (as I've not tried it), but I use the
system-supplied version of BIND on Fedora 14, and it works very well
under wintest, but then I couldn't make it work outside that
environment.

We are very actively working with the BIND community to fix these
issues, and we hope to have a much better experience for BIND 9.8, when
that is released and available in distributions.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.