617ec07 ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 10 14:23:09 MDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:29:57PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just for my understanding: Does 617ec07 mean that
> talloc_tos() will eventually have to die, now that we share
> more and more code and it will not be supported in Samba4?
>
> Thanks,

IMHO - talloc_tos() is too important an idiom to
remove from shared code. We depend on it too much
in source3, and it's possible in merging code that
we'll miss things that will cause leaks. Remember,
a talloc_free() on a talloc stackframe cleans up
all below, so removing talloc_tos() means adding
relevent talloc_free() calls for everything previously
allocated on that frame. I'm worried we'll miss
something.

How can we address this so that we can keep
using talloc_tos() in shared code ?

Jeremy.