Current status of WMI support in Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 25 23:04:16 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 13:03 +0200, Michael Sievers wrote:
> Hi !
>
> The Paderborn Center for Parallel Computing currently evaluates the
> possibility of contributing a Hyper-V driver to the libvirt project.
> Hyper-V uses WMI as its primary API. Searching the web for a way using
> WMI from Linux showed us that there is a Samba 4 based WMI command line
> client in Ubuntu, based on Samba 4 (TP4). But TP4 is rather old, so I
> searched the mailing list archiv for mails concerning current WMI
> support. Last thing I noticed was an announcement of alpha 6, mentioned
> that WMI supported was reintegrated, but not as functional as before.
>
> My question is how functional is WMI support in current samba 4 alpha 7
>   Is it usable ? How can I enable it ? I downloaded alpha 7 and tried to
> build the wmic/wmis tools, but didn't find an appropriate configure nor
> makefile option.

Sadly the WMI development occured in a private fork of Samba4 just after
we removed the DCOM code on which it relied from the distribution.  We
found out about it only months later, after the packages landed in
Debian.

It has taken a lot of effort (and there are some other blockers) to get
the support back into Samba4.   Ask Jelmer for the details.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.