cannot calculate the effective permissions for user xxx

Matthieu Patou mat+Informatique.Samba at matws.net
Fri Jan 30 21:07:23 GMT 2009

Dear all,
I tried a fairly recent version of samba (snapshot of a week ago or so
...) in order to nail down a problem.
I did clean install, provisioning, make a computer join the domain,
create a few users and I get a few quirks:

* When I open the Active Directory Computer and User tool (from
microsoft) and I try to see the effective permission for any created
user I get the message : "Windows cannot calculate the effective
permissions for user xxx" where xxx is the user for which I'm trying to
see permissions. With another installation a bit more older I don't have
this problem.
* One of the user is in group Enterprise Admin and Domain Admins, when I
log on the workstation member of the
domain with this user I am recognized as an admin ! (which is good) but
I can't add / change /delete anything in
Active Directory Computer and User tool (most options are desactivated
or absent), and for instance if I try to modify a user I got this message:

Failed to modify record CN=user test,OU=tst,DC=smb4,DC=tst:
kludge_acl_change: attempted database modify not permitted. User
SAMBA4\user_adm is not SYSTEM or an administrator

Any idea of the reason of the problem ?

Matthieu.