talloc quiz, and: dangling talloc references and inconsistencies in the talloc model

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Jan 16 00:19:54 GMT 2009

Hi Sam,

First off, I should say that talloc_reference() is definately the
trickiest part of talloc, and that I often try to avoid it. I've also
been quite tempted to change talloc to fail explicit talloc_free()
calls when a pointer has a reference and to require that
talloc_unlink() be used in that case. An explicit talloc_free() just
doesn't give enough information to the talloc library to always do the
'right thing'.

That said, I don't agree with the proposed solution (though perhaps
you can convince me). I deliberately chose the current semantics for a
good reason.

To keep it concrete, let's look at the example you added to the test
suite:

	void *root, *p1, *p2, *ref, *r1;

	root = talloc_named_const(NULL, 0, "root");
	p1 = talloc_named_const(root, 1, "p1");
	p2 = talloc_named_const(p1, 1, "p2");
	/* Now root owns p1, and p1 owns p2 */

	r1 = talloc_named_const(root, 1, "r1");
	ref = talloc_reference(r1, p2);

This is the setup you are concerned about. You now worry about the
difference from the point of view of r1 between talloc_free(p1) and
talloc_free(p2). I'd like to expand that to a 3rd case for you to
consider, which is talloc_free(r1).

What talloc is really trying to simulate with references is the
ability for a pointer to have two parents. The only difference between
the two parents of p2 is that one was established earlier than the
other. The fact that internally talloc considers one to be an 'owner'
and the other a 'reference' is supposed to be hidden as far as
possible from the programmer. Unfortunately it isn't completely
hidden.

So from that point of view the memory tree looks like this:

                           root
                            / \
                           /   \
                          /     \
                         /       \
                        r1       p1
                          \      /
                           \    /
                            \  /
                          (p2,ref)

Notice that I've labelled the bottom pointer with two names. The value
of p2 is guaranteed to be the same value as ref, so they are the same
pointer. When p2 or ref is passed to a function we have no way to
distinguish which is being used (as its the same value).

So let's look at the 3 cases and try to work out the intent of the
programmer in each case.

  1) talloc_free(r1). The intent in this case is very clear. The
  programmer is destroying the tree starting at r1, which means we
  should end up with this:

                           root
                              \
                               \
                                \
                                 \
                                 p1
                                 /
                                /
                               /
                          (p2,ref)

  2) talloc_free(p1). The intent in this case is also clear in this
  case. The programmer is destroying the tree starting at p1, which
  means we should end up with this:

                           root
                            /
                           /
                          /
                         /
                        r1
                          \
                           \
                            \
                          (p2,ref)

  3) talloc_free(p2). This is the tricky one. There is no way to
  distinguish this from talloc_free(ref), so we have to choose one of
  the two above approaches. The approach I chose in talloc was that
  the most recent parent should be removed. This is because with no
  way to distinguish what the programmer wanted I needed some
  consistent rule to use, and that is the most logical rule I could
  think of and it made sense to me in terms of the common nesting used
  with references. That gives us this:

                           root
                            / \
                           /   \
                          /     \
                         /       \
                        r1       p1
                                 /
                                /
                               /
                          (p2,ref)

The test_implicit_explicit_free() test checks on something quite
different, and ignores the "two parent" view of talloc references. I
think it is looking for consistency in the wrong way, and ignores the
fact that talloc_free(p2) is the same call as talloc_free(ref). It
also increases the exposure to the programmer of the idea of who is
the 'owner' of a pointer, thus reducing the illusion talloc tries to
create of having a true multi-parent tree structure.

btw, the 'quiz' questions you posted don't make any sense to me, as
they don't explain that the functions save_for_later() and
sneak_final_look() do. If you give some explicit, runnable, code then
it would make more sense to me. Just saying "you got everything right"
doesn't tell me what the code actually does. There could well be bugs
in talloc, but I'd need test cases to confirm that it really is a bug.

Cheers, Tridge