C Library to use registry-based configuration in Samba 3.3

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Feb 3 17:07:33 GMT 2009

Hi Frédéric,

Frédéric Sagnes wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm now using Samba 3.1 with an smb.conf config file.

Oh? ;-)

> I just saw the new Samba 3.3.0 version is out, and with it an
> impressive changeset when it comes to modularity and
> third-party integration.
>
> What caught my eye was the new registry-based configuration
> scheme. I wonder if there's a way to switch to that kind of
> configuration and use C client libraries to locally read/set
> live configuration values instead of using the command-line
> "net" utility. Is that possible?

While this is clearly the intention, it is not yet quite so far:

There is an API in the folder source/lib/smbconf/ .

libsmbconf is designed to be modular and with interchangeable
backends.

But I have not yet managed to build this into a published
shared library, since there are too many dependencies to other pieces
of code that have to be "librarized" first.

As of now, you will have to build 3rd party applications from within
the samba build system.

You can look at source/utils/net_conf.c to see how it is used.

lib/netapi/examples/netdomjoin-gui uses the registry config, too.
Not directly though, but through libnet/libnet_join.c and
lib/netapi/serverinfo.c.

> Thank you for your help and for your hard work improving Samba!

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9