Cannot delete sockets over CIFS

Darshan Purandare darshan.purandare at isilon.com
Fri May 23 22:26:24 GMT 2008

Hi,

I wrote a perl script to generate some open UNIX sockets on the server,
and trying to delete them from a CIFS client. I get an "ACCESS DENIED"
message on the windows box.

I looked though code (samba 3.0.23c) and found that samba attempt to
open the file for all operations that includes read, write and edit. If
it can open the file, it does the subsequent action, but if it cannot
then it returns an error message "Operation not Permitted".

In my case, since it cannot open socket, it cannot delete them.

Can anybody throw some insight into this problem.

Thanks.

Darshan