Symbol versioning

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri May 23 07:16:54 GMT 2008

Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
> Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
>> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
>>> So how does this help us on non-linxu platforms that use the
>>> native ld?  This doesn't seem to help with API version unless it
>>> is portable everywhere.
>> It doesn't help everywhere, but it doesn't harm where it's supported.
>> So far the build-farm looks ok.
>
> But it doesn't help us with versioning on platforms that
> don't use GNU ld right?  So we have to go through all the hoops
> of maintaining backwards compatibility (compatible DSO files).
> So what I'm missing is that this seems to make those platforms
> the corner cases which means they are guaranteed to break.
> My have to support two solutions at all ?
>
> What amI missing here?

Ok, we'll not use symbol versioning and then take care
of maintaining backward and forward compatibility...
Do you have plans how to do that?

Note that we also need forward compat to use a new smbd with
an old winbind, symbol versioning would have worked arround that
as only new function would have a new version number...

metze