Bug 5453

Guenther Deschner gd at samba.org
Thu May 22 15:04:31 GMT 2008

Hi Volker,

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Hi, Günther!
>
> Just for your information: I'm preparing a patch to
> deactivate all code that calls dsgetdcname.

I think this will not improve the current situation and just create
another poorly tested codepath (as we would need to have replacement
calls then for at least joining AD, etc.).

So, my proposal is:
align the dsgetcdname() codepath with the stuff in 3-3-test.

This would be the cherry-pick list for 3-2:
http://www.samba.org/~gd/liste-3-2-test
and for 3-2-stable:
http://www.samba.org/~gd/liste-3-2-stable

This are a lot of patches, I know, pre3 just shipped with a 30% finished
  feature (and with that crash bug). Now moving backwards is as good/bad
as moving forward, IMHO.

For reference, here are the code paths which touch this:
* dsgetdcname call in winbindd (used by wbinfo/libwbinfo, and krb5 locator)
* rpc server wkssvc remote join and unjoin calls
* "net ads join"/libnetjoin
* libnetapi callers (just example code)

Sounds ok ?

Guenther

--
Günther Deschner                    GPG-ID: 8EE11688
Red Hat                         gdeschner at redhat.com
Samba Team                              gd at samba.org