samba4: machine and user accounts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 21 00:33:39 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:48 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:

> > This very much depends how much you are willing/able to work with me on
> > things that come up, and what features you need.
> >
> > Getting the data syncronised across *should* be possible (with the new
> > 'net vampire' command), but we might need to work on some things
> > manually (that command does not create backlinks - like memberOf, but if
> > we dump/restore from LDIF, we can probably fix that, or I can finish the
> > code).
> >
> > Similarly, you will no doubt find other issues.  Even if you decide is
> > isn't viable, trying it out (perhaps only to pre-production) would give
> > me *very* valuable information that I need to help push Samba4 towards a
> > beta.
> >
> I'd be happy to work with you if you have the time, although from what
> I've tested so far the auth is working, the GPOs are working, the only
> things we miss are replication (and given that the SBS doesn't do that
> we've already reached parity), and exchange attributes in ADUC.

Do you need exchange attributes, or exchange working against Samba4?

There is rather a large difference between the two, but on a positive
note, the folks at PostPath are working on allowing schema modification,
so their exchange replacement (and therefore in future, things like an
OpenChange server) can add schema at runtime.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.