Asynchronous operations?

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Tue May 13 12:35:44 GMT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 5:36 AM, Rafal Szczesniak <mimir at samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:51:13AM +0500, Igor Mikushkin wrote:
>  > Hello!
>  >
>  > I'm currently using libsmbclient library for read / write to a remote file.
>  > I noticed that it does not support asynchronous operations.
>
>  Volker checked in a bit of async code into libsmbclient, but it's not used
>  by the API yet (as far as I remember).

Correct.  Volker's code allowed the lower-level requests to operate
asynchronously, but libsmbclient does not make use of that.
libsmbclient as it currently stands is a POSIX emulation library, and
the POSIX routines do not support async operations.  I did, though,
recently change the structure of the libsmbclient code to make it
easier to add new capabilities to libsmbclient beyond POSIX emulation.
 It would be nice, for example, to have a function to open/create a
file which exposed the full horror of the NT API yet provided a "file
descriptor" that could be used with the other libsmbclient functions.
Adding async operations could be done too.  When I add async
capability, however, I want to ensure that I do it in such a way that
it's compatible with samba4.  I'd like for that work to be the
beginnings of a samba4 libsmbclient.  (I don't currently have any of
this work scheduled, however.)

Cheers,

Derrell