FC8/Samba 3.0.28: Could not receive trustdoms

Geekasaurus cvail at airmail.net
Sun Jun 1 00:08:00 GMT 2008

I've been using Samba for a number of years, but this is becoming IMPOSSIBLE
to set up and maintain.   The setup is simple: 2 computers, 1 Windows XP SP2
with all the latest patches and such [hostname doofus], 1 Fedora Core 8
running Samba 3.0.28 [hostname dumbee].

I am able to make it work after a fashion.  I can browse to the /mnt1
filesystem [ext3, if anyone cares] and read/write files to it.  I am now
trying to get Norton Ghost to work, and their help desk is worse than
useless.  The goal is to backup the XP system to the Linux system.

Ghost did work for a week, but recently I've been getting errors.  It does
seem to be a problem with Samba.  At the time I get the Ghost errors, I get
the an error in the  log.wb-WORKGROUP file, with a timestamp that matches
the attempt on the XP machine.  The error is:
libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(112)   Receiving SMB: Server stopped
responding.

At the same moment, in the log.winbindd file, I get another error with the
same timestamp, and the mesage:
nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:trustdom_recv(229)   Could not receive trustdoms.

With the same timestamp, in the log.$IP_ADDY file I see:
auth/auth_util.c:create_token_from_username(1116)   sid_to_uid for cvail
(S-1-5-21-1203031067-1067078206-1052721417-2000) failed

The results of # net user
root
cvail

So the cvail user is in the database.

cvail is the username I am using on the XP host, doofus.  It exists on both
the Linux and XP systems.

I cannot say that I am a clueless newby...I've been doing *nix
administration for 25 years, and
Samba since version 2 something.  But if anyone can offer some clues, I will
post back here what, if any, solution I find.

Here is the /etc/samba/smb.conf:
[In the interest of brevity, I have deleted most lines with a ; or # as the
first byte].
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================

[global]
        workgroup = Workgroup
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        netbios name = dumbee
        interfaces = lo eth0
        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.6 192.168.1.5
192.168.1.3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50

        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        local master = yes
        os level = 32
        preferred master = yes
        dns proxy = yes

        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        idmap uid = 100000-200000
        idmap gid = 100000-200000
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-30000
        winbind use default domain = yes

        logon drive = R:
        logon home = \\%N\%U
        logon script = %u.bat
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%u

        template homedir = /dev/null
        template shell = /bin/false

        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind cache time = 600
        winbind nested groups = No
        client use spnego = no

        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd "%u" -n -g users
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd "%g"
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -n -c "Workstation (%u)" -M
-d /nohome -s /bin/false "%u"
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u"
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u" "%g"
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel "%g"

==============================

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no