winbindd, samba DC, and trusts

Tue Jan 29 20:15:52 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 02:20:58PM -0500, simo wrote:
> The problem is that if you shut down completely winbindd in smbd then I
> guess auth will fail for any trusted domain user.

No, in the trusted domain case winbind would have to connect
to the foreign dc itself anyway. I thought we're talking
about the PDC case here.

> BUT, I came out with a much simpler idea that seem to be working in my
> initial tests.
>
> Our problem is that we do try to authenticate against smbd in the main
> winbindd daemon, this is a loop problem but also a waste because none
> (that I've checked so far) of the operations we need to perform against
> our own DC really are done in the main daemon.
>
> All user/group enumeration is normally turned of in the IS_DC case and
> in the Samba DC case what we really care about is pam/ntlm_auth
> authentication anyway, and this is performed in the winbind domain
> child.

Hmmm. Sounds a bit fishy, but it might solve that one
particular problem. I'd much rather see that winbind does
not connect the local smbd at all if possible. To avoid
doing the check_ntlm_auth thing for passdb users (i.e. our
own domain) in winbind, I'd still like to see at least an
initial attempt at the fork thing.

I know this comment is moot, because I'm not doing it
myself, but I think what is needed is a picture and/or table
of all cases that we have. I think one of the main problems
in winbind is that there are just way too many situations
that are just way too easy to break. If we had a list, one
might at least go and test all of them.

Volker