Get Samba version or capability information from Windows

Fri Jan 18 13:41:41 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:23:49PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Apart from that, how does a git version number look like?  Is that
> really a 64 bit number?  I'm more or less git illiterate so far.
> When I look into the log, I see commit numbers as:
>
>   commit 3fa0cf3fe5f819f6e76df6f7cef3bb4e1c307a52
>   Author: Volker Lendecke <vl at samba.org>
>   Date:   Fri Jan 18 11:08:17 2008 +0100

Yes, git uses 160 bit hash values for all commits, there is
no such thing as a revision number that you might know from
for example svn. It is ok to take the first 64 bits of that
revision, this should be unique enough.

> The commit number looks like a 160 bit value.  Additionally the commit
> numbers don't seem to be ordered which would be rather bad for
> comparisons.

That's where the build time and the Samba version string
comes in. That partial git hash is the definitive answer
that you might want for specific vendor branches etc.

> Personally I'd rather have a binary representation of the samba
> version number (like 0x03020001 or something, similar to the way
> the OpenSSL version number is defined).

Well, how do you encode the "a" in 3.0.27a? Look at
lib/version.c, feel free to make up an encoding you prefer.

> > Corinna, would you mind to code that up as a patch?
>
> Sure, why not, but I might need some help with git.

You might want to look at
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development
for a start. The people on the #samba-technical irc channel
might also help.

Volker