triple allocation of large buffers.

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Thu Jan 17 10:21:47 GMT 2008

* Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote, On 17/01/08 07:37:
> Hi Sam,
>

>> vfs_proxy now uses rpc for passing proxied read requests in order to
>> easily support various compression types, and I'm wondering if this is a
>> bad idea...
>>

> I think using rpc for file access is a bad idea, it makes only sense for
> management stuff.
>
> I think it would be better to use the trans2 (or was it nttrans)
> subcodes, to implement for cifs proxy. Your aim for the whole project is
>  performace, so should really do it at the SMB level.

Trans2 does so much copying when sending too... I think the most
efficient thing to do is to steal a new top level operation like I did
in the first place, but just use NDR to produce the whole packet.

If the NDR packer will work nicely with smbcli_request_setup() and
struct request_buffer (and that doesn't seem too hard) then it can start
packing on the end of the smb header. It will be harder to do that for
trans2 because of all it's requirements, but maybe I can work up to that.

So... lets see how that goes.

Sam