PATCH samba cache and read-ahead

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Fri Jan 11 14:46:57 GMT 2008

* Volker Lendecke wrote, On 04/01/08 13:38:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:21:33PM +0000, Amin Azez wrote:
>
>>> Yes, it's exactly that. Your advantage is that you don't
>>> need to marshall anything on your own, and you don't have to
>>> ask anybody for name space. Just invent a named pipe name,
>>> run uuidgen and you're done with your local sandbox. In
>>> theory you could even ride on one of the existing named
>>> pipes, but this might be sub-obtimal.
>>>

>> This sounds brillig. Do you have any URLs handy with practical tips, or
>> any names of suitable existing named pipes for which I can examine the
>> related source for tips?
>>

> Not really, sorry. You might look at the rpc-echo pipe and
> its implementation.

I've managed to work out that I need a populated and valid
 struct dcerpc_pipe *p
but there's a lot of different functions for opening rpc connections to
choose from, and I'm not able to prefer one over another.

I guess the proxy backend will open an rpc pipe for every tree_connect
that occurs, and use the pipe for proxy specific transfers.

This suggests to me that the users credentials can be used when opening
the rpc pipe, although I'm not sure if it is any better that using the
machine credentials, as I will be recovering and passing the clients tid
in the context of any rpc calls anyway.

Please could you advise me on the different rpc pipe open calls. I will
want to be doing syncronous and asyncronous calls in both directions?
In short I know my uuid...

I'm still looking, but a hint would be very much appreciated.

Sam