IPv6 and Samba 3.2

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jan 8 19:20:13 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 03:32:13PM +0000, David Holder wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you too !

> Eventually I have found some time to return to looking at Samba 3.2 and
> IPv6.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
>    * What is the current status of IPv6 in the Samba 3.2 code?

Finished :-).

>    * Is there anything that can be tested over IPv6 yet or are you
>      still doing the ground work for this?

It should just work. I know James Peach has been doing some tests
on this on MacOSX.

>    * I'm assuming that I am best looking at the test branch?

Use git branch v3-2-test.

> My plan is to:
>
>    * Look at the code ;-) - doing this now
>    * Attempt to use Samba 3.2 over IPv6 server/client (if this is possible)
>    * Carry out tests in our lab against Windows Vista and Windows
>      Server 2008

Sounds good to me. Two things I know are currently not
converted is the support for A6 records. We do support AAAA
records. The second is the support for DNS TSIG updates,
these are still IPv4 only.

Everything else should be done & working.

Jeremy.