Microsoft Word 2003 slow with Samba

Wolfgang.968 wstahn at proderm.de
Tue Feb 5 10:38:43 GMT 2008

Hello,

the web is full of complaints about bad performance using Microsoft Word
Documents on a Samba share, but no solution yet.

I just compared the up- and download speed with a big (500MB) file on a
share on a Win2K3 server with that of a Samba (3.0.10) share on a Mac OS X
machine, an they are comparable.

But when I open a Word (1 MB with some embedded graphics) document on these
shares, the Samba server is way slower. The opening takes about twice the
time and when scrolling the document up and down, it takes significantly
more time to get the embedded graphics displayed. On the W2K3 server, there
is almost no delay on graphics display upon scrolling.

There is one interesting effect: When I open the Word document in R/O mode
(for example because it is locked by an other user) opening and scrolling is
as fast as on the W2K3 share!

Obviously, the way Word works with documents is hardly compatible with
Samba... I checked out all the recommended Samba tuning option (i.e. socket
options etc.), but all to no avail regarding this problem.

A general clarification of the samba developers is advised...

Wolfgang