named stream support

Novgorodsky, Sergey snovgorodsky at InSiteOne.com
Mon Apr 28 18:29:29 GMT 2008

Hi -

We run Samba 3.0.24 on Linux to provide a shared drive for DiskXtender (archiving/backup software),
which copies/moves files from Win2003 to our share.

It works fine, but we've had one problem recently :
DiskXtender complained that "File Thumbs.db cannot be moved because the media ARCHIVE does not support named streams."
ARCHIVE is our shared drive. As I understand, Thumbs.db has Alternate Data Streams and our Samba server doesn't support named streams,
 but shouldn't we be still able to just copy/move the file?
How would a client know that Samba doesn't support named streams, which calls are used to determine that?
Are they exposed at VFS module level?

Thanks,
Sergey

Come visit us!!

SIIM 08, May 15th-18th 2008, Booth #314, Washington State Covention and Trade Center, Seattle WA
Amerinet Member Conferences:
West - May 5th-9th, Marriott Rivercenter, San Antonio TX
East - June 16th-19th, Walt Disney World Dolphin, Orlando FL