PATCH samba cache and read-ahead

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Wed Nov 14 13:14:08 GMT 2007

There have been no objections, so I'll take it that there is nothing
grossly offensive in the caching yet.
I'm hoping for something of it to make to the alpha after the alpha
coming up.

The plan ahead is:

1. Support a cache-fragment map, identifying which parts of the cache as:

* empty
* unvalidated
* validated

(The current cache is linear from the beginning of the file with an
cached extent, a validated extend, and a read-ahead extent)
The cache-fragment map may be based on the tdb lock management code as
it can already cope with mapping multiple ranges of a resource, once I
work out how to do this,

Current cache behaviour will be extended to cache-fragment maps.

* If an oplock is lost or refused than all validated parts are marked as
unvalidated.
* If an oplock is held, all reads are written to the cache and marked as
validated
* If an oplock is not held, all reads are written to the cache and
marked as unvalidated.
* Reads on unvalidated parts will use the SMBreadCache operation passing
a checksum to the remote proxy so that if the cache turns out to
actually be is correct, a cheap acknowledgement can be sent.
(Unvalidated parts will only be validated if an oplock is held).

2. Writes will be written to the cache if the remote write is
successful, but I don't know how to interleave this with intermediate
async reads, advice would be appreciated.

3. add some tests

4. oplock convergence
If two satelltie users access the same file via the same satallite proxy
AND the proxy can tell, then there is no need to unvalidate the cache,
so we could might try to avoid propagating the open request and use the
same handle in order to keep the oplock.  Any advice? It may bring a low
return in exchange for the effort.

I don't see that it would help to separate the caching and compression
from the vfs_cifs module. I know someone suggested an alternate
vfs_cifs_cache module, but the caching/read-ahead is not very intrusive
to vfs_cifs and I feel can be part of the vfs_cifs module.

Compression belongs elsewhere anyway and can work between smbclient and
samba as well. (Cache-less compression of course).

I think the patch I sent lies about oplocks (because SMBclient wasn't
asking for oplocks).

Sam