Quick question on symbolic link support

senthil kumar lihtnes78 at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 13:27:48 GMT 2007

On linux-2.6.7 and samba-3.0.23c.

My testing suggests that smbd does not follow symbolic links which cross
fs boundaries and which point to remote nfs shares.

Theoretically, IMHO this could be made to work, irrespective of what the target
path is (whether it is with in the filer server or on a remote nfs server),
because it is the job of kernel vfs layer to send the request to the
appropriate modules (be it another fs or nfs client).

Please let me know if my testing results are correct, if yes then why we
are not supporting symlinks which cross fs boundary.

Thanks and Regards
Senthil