svn commit: samba r22713 - in branches: SAMBA_3_0/source/nsswitch SAMBA_3_0_26/source/nsswitch

simo idra at samba.org
Mon May 7 12:21:56 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 06:58 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> simo wrote:
>
> > Yes, the cache should help, but there are still some backends
> > that can safely be queried when offline.
>
> I spent some more time thinking about this and it doesn't
> really matter.    For example, idmap_nss is really only
> needed by applications that deal in tokens like smbd.
> The offlne logon geature is strictly for use by PAM
> enabled applications,  And in that case, the process will
> only deal in gids.  So if a user has logged in once
> (which he or she must have in order to logon while offline),
> the the appropriate SID/uid/gid mappings have been cached.
> Same thing fro idmap_passdb.
>
> idmap_rid should not be used for SIDs that you cannot
> determine the type for which means that by definition you
> have already cached that information as well.
>
> I think you are dealing in theoreticals without actually
> having tested a working system.

Yeah maybe I am over-concerned here :)

> > In fact you shouldn't allocate if you are not able to
> > validate the SID. When offline allocation functions should
> > probably not be called (previously the validation code
> > was in idmap so it was easy to avoid problems ...)
>
> You misunderstand the design of the offline logon feature
> then.  The basic premise is that the core winbindd code does
> not change.  So we don't have to have special code in each
> winbindd API call (auth being the exception).  The cache manager
> must be able to answer the query without calling the underlying
> backends which are not guaranteed to work offline.  The fact
> that some can is irrelevant.  The idmap cache manager must
> not be required to know which ones can and which one cannot.
> This is why you cannot delete expired entries from the
> idmap_cache.tdb as you were previously doing.

Well, deleting negative cached entries is not a big deal, you are going
to return a missing mapping anyway without hitting the backends, so the
behavior should be the same. But I am ok with your change.

> After I've finished regression testing in the next day or so,
> if you can give me a specific example where it is necessary
> to actually call into an idmap backend while offline to make
> something work wecan deal with that case.  But talking about
> theoretical possibilities leads to bloated code.

Sure, make sense to me, I just needed some more explanation and I think
you are right here. Thanks.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce